Wednesday, December 21, 2005


October 4, 2004
Welcome to the world, Kai.
I always thought it was the Expectant father who was supposed to pace the hospital corridors, not the mother.
Because the hospital policy was to only admit women in labour when their cervix was dilated 5 cm, I had to "kill time" until my cervix reached that magical number. Hmmm. Was something wrong? I'd really had the perfect pregnancy up until then. Absolutely no complications, and yet here I was in so much pain I was throwing up with my contractions, but they wouldn't admit me. Turns out that the baby was bearing down a little to the front of my cervix, instead of at the opening. So my contractions were painful, yet not as productive as they should have been. Midnight came and went... 1 a.m.... 2 a.m... 3 a.m... 4 a.m... until finally, around 4.30 a.m., the nurse wrote up my 4 cm dilation as 5 cm (God bless her soul!), and admitted me.
'Xcuse the pun, but I won't labour through all the details of the next 14 and a half hours. I will share that I was really, really, really determined to avoid all pain relief, but 26 hours into my labour, I reached my limits, and reluctantly asked for an epidural. It was a good decision as it turned out, although I was so disappointed with myself at the time. After the epidural, the pain of contractions was reduced so much I actually slept for a couple of hours. It was great to get some strength back with that cat-nap, and to be able to enjoy the rest of my labour, and the birth of my son. I'm sure I wouldn't have without it, so although I beat myself up for a little while, I'm so glad I opted for pain relief.
Kai came along at 7:14 p.m. on Monday, October 4th. So, from eating Chinese Saturday night, to beginning labour 10 a.m. Sunday morning, through finally being admitted to the labour-ward Monday morning, he joined us Monday night. It was a long haul. But worth every minute! And yes, I will do it again in a heart-beat, and can't wait for more babies.
Burned into my very soul, are the gurgly, chirpy, "little birdy" new-baby noises he made as he was examined and cleaned up immediately after birth. I expected the classic wailing, but he didn't cry at all; he just seemed delighted to have made it, and the sounds from him were the single cutest, most endearing, delightful noises I have ever heard.
So that was how we "met" our son, Kai Cruz.
2004... a very good year!
Peta

No comments: